Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmas


Question: Where does the name Christmas come from?

Answer: The word Christmas comes from the word "Christ" as the celebration of Jesus.

Literally from the Middle English "Cristes Maesse," or "Christ's festival." [Yes, the modern word "mass" originally meant "festival."]

(from WikiAnswers)


Christmas is not about presents! It is to celebrate the fact that God sent his only Son to be born and ultimately give His life so that we may be saved. How sad am I to hear this past friday ("black friday?") that a man was trampled to death because of an impatient crowd...waiting to buy "presents". STUFF. Stuff!!!! Stuff that doesn't matter!!! A person DIED. I am still appalled that this happened. The people could not wait to get into the wal mart and (apparently) did not even bother to help this man. Or any of the others that were hurt, including a pregnant woman!!! This is what our world has come to. How sad. This year my family will be playing the game where you open presents but can "steal" a present from the others. We are buying one gift each, and no present will cost more than $30. Of course Cash will get his gifts, but Christmas "presents" are (i believe) more for the children anyway! For the fun and "magic" of it all. I do not want presents, because it is just stuff! Remember, you can't take it with you! "I've never seen a hearse with a luggage rack". I have everything I ever wanted in my life! I am so perfectly content and THANKFUL for God's blessings. I have a wonderful husband, a home, my son, wonderful friends, awesome church family.....I mean I could go on and on. I don't say all this to boast or brag about my wonderful life, I hope it will encourage somebody reading this. Maybe take a step back and reflect on things that matter most! Thank You Lord again and again! You are God alone!! I love this song...here is an excerpt from "in Christ alone":


In Christ Alone, who took on flesh fullness of God in helpless babe

This gift of love and righteousness Scorned by the ones He came to save

'Til on that cross as Jesus died The wrath of God was satisfied

Forevery sin on Him was laid Here in the death of Christ I live

There in the ground His body lay Light of the world by darkness slain

Then bursting forth in glorious day Up from the grave he rose again

And as He stands in victory Sin's curse has lost its grip on me

For I am His and He is mine Bought with the precious blood of Christ


It's not about presents.