Friday, March 6, 2009

Ear Infection fun!

So Stacy inspired me to write a blog about what we've been doing this week...since it falls along the lines of changing pediatricians. Cash got a cough and runny nose last week sometime. It continued along until Tues when i decided i guess i should go see the dr about this cough. I get in there and they pretty much couldn't wait to get me out. When Cash was born a friend told me she saw this same ped for her daughter but "didn't like him". I thought, "eh, he's good...we like him." so we continued. As we go along in his visits, i start noticing a trend. A trend of little to no information being given to me, the first-time-green mom. I know NOTHING. When Cash got his first shots, I didn't know he may not feel well, or may run a fever afterwards. They didn't tell me any of it! So Tues we go in there and he gets checked. The dr. looks in his ears and in his right ear i hear "yeah, this one's bad." So he proceeds to write me a RX and leave the room. I mean, if I hadn't asked a question or two I'm pretty sure he would have done just that! He was in much too big of a hurry to answer a phone call (personal at that....to a credit card company...yeah, i heard it!). I asked him (as he was writing the RX) "so....just give him the prescription and that will make it better?" (something along those lines). He responds with a slightly sarcastic "yeah that's the idea." whaaaaa???? the nerve! and I'm kinda like....in a haze, questions racing thru my mind, wanting more information! what is an ear infection? what causes it? what should i expect from the med? how long will it take? what do i DO??? as he's stepping (literally) out the door i quickly say "so....what IS an ear infection...i mean, what causes it?" he looked at me like "lady, seriously? i'm busy." and answered some non caring textbook answer and he was out. leaving me in the room, alone, wondering....am i finished? i immediately called a friend from church to ask her where her boys go and i'm looking for a new dr. Oh, guess what? it just so happens that she TOO had taken her boys from where i was and went somewhere else. hmmmm. that must tell us something! So I called her dr's office and got everything switched and set up for Cash to start seeing her next time. I wrote up 2 reviews on the old dr, just letting ppl know that maybe he's not the best for "first-time" moms, or ppl that generally want information and a caring touch. Last night Cash coughed and hacked all night. And this morn. And all day. I call the new dr office to ask if this is normal, will it just go away on it's own? They told me unfortunately i would have to talk to the dr that prescribed the antibiotic and see what to do. I call them, they say they will have to get back to me. They then tell me that i can give accuhist to Cash for his cough and drainage. OH! really? oh yeah, the dr. gave me that on Tues. maybe had he taken the time to explain it i would know what it was for, and not an "optional" thing to do. Had he said, give this to Cash every 6 hours, it will help with the runny nose, and cough....i would have been doing that since Tues. Maybe then i would not have been up at 2:30 am, then from 4:30-6?? ok, so i've totally vented. :O) thanks for reading, everyone! I'm looking forward to our "new" dr next time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet boy! I am glad you switched. Sorry to all of the "busy" pediatricians out there, but the days of writing up an rx and expecting no questions along with it are OVER. I think it is not only SMART to ask questions about the illness and why the doc chose to give you these certain meds, I also think it is the right thing to do. How dare he belittle you for being an informed, caring mother. I guess he is used to people not questioning what they put in their child's system or how they got the infection in the first place. (naturally you will want to avoid ear infections again!) Ok, so I ranted right there with you. I am proud of you Mitty! You go! You along with your insurance company are paying these docs so don't forget that! It's your right to ask questions and have them answered!

Stacy Ann said...

Go Mom Misty!! good job! oh and I love it how we're going through all these things together!

Mel said...

Dr. L. Stadler (817)294-4548 We have been with her since Emily was born. I LOVE her!!!!!! She is very caring and takes her time talking to you. The office staff know my kids and I by name. Not far from you either! She is in the Cooks Children's Network but their office is located by Harris Southwest. Also if she is out, the other female doctor there is also great. Emily was sick over Thanksgiving and the Dr. called me several times just to check up on her. Not some nurse or on call staff the Dr. did. Check her out!